A couple of weekends ago, I had the pleasure of seeing something rather outstanding; a historical building in Perth; His Majesty's Theatre being turned into an ice rink. It took 3000L of ice so that a cast of 25 world renowned skaters, The Imperial Ice stars can perform impressive stunts and graceful ice-dancing all to the tune of Tchaikovsky's famous suites - The Nutcracker. The Nutcracker on ice is an adaption of the classic Russian tale of Maria, the little girl whose love brings to life her cherished Nutcracker doll - a magical Christmas gift from her mysterious godfather. This leads to adventures with the Mouse King, the enchanted Prince, and the Sugar Plum Fairy.
It was spetacular to see them perform, what I can only imagine, is a small stage doing their crazy flips and acrobatic ice skating without missing their landing on the ice. There was a few times that I was sure I held my breathe in fear that they would miss the ice and break their necks!If you get a chance go and see it in your city, it's so different to your usual plays, musicals and ballet. It's rather exciting.
I believe they will be going to Spain and Singapore in the coming months.
And for those in Perth, wait until the next production! Hopefully they will be back with another exciting production. I know last year's (2011 production by the Imperial Ice stars) in Perth was Swan Lake on Ice. How amazing would that have been?
But hey the upside is that the Swan Lake ballet is coming to Perth in November and the Russian ballerinas will be performing.


No comments:
Post a Comment