Friday, August 16, 2013

The Wine Store and Wine bar

I love discovering quaint little places around Western Australia. My latest discovery is a corner deli shop turned into a boutique wine store and bar on George street in Fremantle. Such a random place to find amazing wines and good food! It's in the middle of residential area!

The Wine Store is divided into two areas - the store stocks boutique wines sourced locally and around the world - from vintages in Burgundy and Bordeaux to joining the new-world - Argentinean revolution, wines from Portugal, brewing behind the iron curtain and winemaking at home in Australia and at such fair and affordable prices and the bar next door has a cellar downstairs (perfect for functions and perhaps a very intimate wedding reception!). Their team is also very knowledgeable (did you know Malbec actually originates from France. The French then brought the grapes over to Argentina where it thrived in the climate and now everyone thinks it originates from Argentina) and they really appreciate well made wines that are true to their vineyard and of course taste.

Then there is the food, the menu is European and South American inspired made with fresh, local Western Australia produce. Oh and of course cheap coffees with free babycinos (which is the way it should be!).

I had the privilege of being invited to the Yelp Elite event and getting a chance to check out the place and taste test their canapé menu.

The interior design is so nice and the cellar.. perfection for a function. Just look at the photos.




The interiors of the bar upstairs. Love the wallpaper


The cellar dining area - wines on display and right at the back is this beautiful wood table.
An intimate Wedding reception can be held here. If only I had a small family for an occasion like that. But unfortunately I don't. (These two photos are taken by the lovely Adam the photographer of Yelp - thank you muchly for allowing me to use these on my blog).


PLEASE NOTE: The mains shown in this post may not be what is available currently at the Wine Store as the menu changes often.

They also have a open kitchen were you really can see everything. I spent way too long hanging around watching them prep the food. 




On the night, Yelp provided the yelpers with canapés - This lovely ham and cheese croquette with salsa. Divine. I ate a bit too much of those yummy balls. 


Ham and cheese croquette

Then there was the beef empanadas with this nice chilli (hot meter of slight). It was packed with goodness and the pastry wasn't too thick either.


Beef empanadas 


Then the food came out for other people at the bar and I took the opportunity to photograph them and make them look as sexy as possible.


Salad


Fried fish heads

The two canapés didn't cut it, and we were still hungry and the menu looked so good so we stayed for dinner to sample more of the food. 


 Cousin and I - the obligatory toilet photo


 My obligatory social media update on my Samsung Galaxy S4 - the screen is so much bigger making it so idea for instagram and facebook and using blogger on the phone!


We ordered the stuffed field mushrooms to start. They gave us three rather large stuffed mushrooms with feta and breadcrumbs. It was rather tangy which was something I was not expecting. 


Stuffed mushrooms

I really wanted the gnocchi but with the urging of cousin and my health conscious kicking in I want with the half roasted quail and chorizo with sweet corn puree. 


Half roasted quail with chorizo and sweet corn puree 

The sweet corn puree was creamy and sweet and added the much needed flavour to the quail. With the quail they gave me the wrong half, I ended up with two wing pieces instead of a wing and thigh, which greatly diminished the amount of meat I got on my plate (and considering quails are already rather limited in meaty-ness).. it was little bit of a let down (especially when the canapes were so good!).

My cousin got the steak with fries. Her fries had old oil being used and were cold once it reached her. The steak itself was perfectly cooked medium with a tangy pesto sauce on top, which complemented the dish rather well. 


Steak and fries with pesto sauce

The Wine Store is a little gem of a place. It's ambiance is so chilled and with couches to lounge in with a glass of beautiful red or white or even sparkling in hand and with people you love nothing is more glorious. And hey if you want to buy a bottle of the wine you have on hand you can always pop in next door (before 8pm - the liquor store closes at 8:00pm) and get it for cheaper (they stock things not found anywhere else!). They also do breakfast and lunch and cheap (but good) coffee. 

I can't wait to come back with my friends and just spend the night talking, laughing, enjoying good wines and going through the small bites menu. Then going next door to get a bottle of the red we had so we enjoy it all over again at home.

**PLEASE NOTE THE MENU DOES CHANGE OFTEN SO PLEASE CHECK THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE TO SEE WHAT IS ON OFFER**

The Wine Store Wine Bar on Urbanspoon



Disclaimer: The last few dishes were bought by us where the two canapes were part of the Yelp Elite function so thus were on the house!

Reminder: This website is under copyright so if photos are going to be used please kindly credit them back to me. All photos taken by me with my Chiro (Nikon D90) exception of the two that I have credited.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram