Sunday, November 3, 2013

West End Deli


I love having brunch on weekends (when I haven't got work). It's just nice to sit at a cafe somewhere with good company, gossip, eat good food and drink coffee. It's extremely important with a brunch place that it has a nice ambiance and the coffee has to be good. I decided to go to West End Deli. It's an old favourite of mine and I haven't been there for a while, and can you believe it? my other half haven't been there at all.

The interior hasn't changed much and the little corner shop turned cafe was as packed as it always was. We were lucky and got a seat near the door before an influx of hungry patrons walked through the day. The rustic, bare walls, old type writers in the corner and floating chairs always takes my fancy. 



We decided to order from their lunch menu as it was closer to lunch than it was breakfast. Coffee was in order. Flat white to boost my mood. I don't think there was enough coffee in it (and yes I realise it is a flat white, but you should still be able to taste the coffee).. what a bummer.


 Bf wanted the pork belly that was on the menu, but he was disappointed when the waiter came back to say that it was unavailable, causing bf to grumble "why put it on the menu when you don't even have it.." So he settled for the open steak sandwich. The steak was cooked well and flavoursome. It was enough to fill the belly but not stop bf from grumbling about the lack of pork belly.


I craved for good pan-fried homemade gnocchi, so when West End Deli presented it on their menu I jumped at the chance. I was disappointed though. The gnocchi wasn't cooked through properly. It was still doughy on the inside. It also lacked any sort of flavours. I was not happy with my meal. The gnoochi was very photogenic though, and looked so good to eat, but, alas it was a big let down.


There is something nice about sitting at West End Deli. The hustling and bustling of the open kitchen and the chattering of nearby tables makes it seem very homely. In terms of food quality, I feel as though they have slipped a bit, either that or they were having a bad day. I like to think its the latter.

West End Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram