I've never been to a ballet, and when I do see the shows on telly, on SBS, I never really appreciated it, partly because ballet isn't meant to be enjoyed on a small electronic screen. But after seeing the Taming of the Shrew, I'm a huge fan!.
The Taming of the Shrew is masterfully retold by John Cranko. This great romantic comedy skillfully conveys Shakespeare’s wit and sharp understanding of human character. With Shakespeare's charming characters and Cranko's striking choreography, almost flawless ballet (a poor chorus ballerina slipping but gracefully covering it up!), fantastical music, lavish sets and costumes makes it an unforgettable night at the ballet.
I was blessed enough to sit front centre at His Majesty's Theatre and was able to see every detail, in extreme detail. The expressive facial acting of the WA Ballet dancers, their amazing body language and of course they danced beautifully and were brilliantly comic.
Tonight's performance saw Petruchio being played by Filip Barankiewicz, guest artist from the Stuttgart Ballet. He was absolutely amazing! Such power in each and every one of his moves. Playing opposite him as the tempestuous Kate, Fiona Evans was a pint-sized firecracker. She was just so tiny and skinny (skinny but with muscles!). And I must say Gremio, played by Andre Santos was such good comic relief! Humourous in every way possible.
There was laughter roaring through the crowd from start to finish, and the buzz at interval and after the show was electric. There is such humour, wonderful dancing and magical musical accompaniment, I thoroughly enjoyed it and if you have never been to the ballet before, or if you want to show someone else how fun it can be, then this is definitely the show for a first timer.


No comments:
Post a Comment