Bf and I drove down a few Friday afternoons ago, after work to go to Manjimup for a massive family reunion for his family. A hundreds years since his family migrated to Australia from England. Not a bad achievement!
So before spending time with bf's family and before the festivities of the main event, we did a few quick "touristy" things. Mainly at my need to stock up on red wine (which I am ashamed to say is now down to one bottle - mostly because I didn't buy a lot and mostly because I have taken them along to friends' and family dinner parties).
We ventured to Silkwood wineries. Amazing views from their cafe, which also doubles as their tasting area (I think it's great marketing! - you wine taste - you get whoozy so you stay a while and fill up on food - in our case coffee/milkshake).
Silkwood wineries was a rather peaceful, pretty and serene place. And as the cafe lady said, a favourite wedding venues, especially now that they have completed their gardens. We didn't see their garden because after tasting, buying of wine then having a coffee enjoying the views we had to make our way to our next destination - Wine and Truffle Co. for some truffle-filled lunch at their cafe, which I will talk about at a later time.
Then the day ended with visiting bf's brother's house and watching Captain America, while the temperature outside dropped, but luckily there was a fireplace. God I love fireplaces on cold winter's nights. They just add a touch of romance and coziness. All that was needed was hot chocolate.
So, the next day, was the main event. I learnt a fair bit about bf's family history and I think he did too. His uncle did an awesome job finding the "descendants" of the family members that migrated to Australia. There was at least 70+ people. Luckily it didn't rain, although it threatened, because I don't think the marquee would have held if it pelted down.
It makes me wonder what it would be like if my whole entire family were to gather. I know a few years ago there was a sort of family reunion and that was already like 70+ and it was still "immediate" family and people we know. If my family traced back the family tree I wonder what we would find.
There was so much food, but I would have to say the thing that impressed me most was bf's cousin cooking BBQ on an open wood fire (of course there was a metal tray on top which held the meat).
It gave the meat a bit of a woody flavour through it, which made the steak fantastic. I was a little disappointed in myself for not having more meat, or at least having the lamb.
I have to say thought, the person or rather an animal stole the show, and it was a little golden Labrador puppy. So fluffy and such a cutie! Also rather into play fighting with another adolescent dog which was about five times the pup's size. He hasn't got a name yet though.
He is the softest thing you ever felt! So adorable. Totally like the toilet paper ad! Cuddly!
But before we knew it, it was time for us to head back home. With the colour of the sky changing as we drove home, we were both tired and yet felt slightly refreshed to have gotten away from work and everything else for at least 48 hours. Nevertheless, the colours were rather lovely.











No comments:
Post a Comment