Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Being merry @ Merrywell

A bottle of shiraz and cocktails can do a lot of damage sometimes. For me it makes me sleep. Once all that EtOH hits my system all I want to do is curl up and sleep.


Before that happens though I get hungry. After our lackluster dinner experience at Nobu, we ventured onto Merrywell for some desserts (it was either Merrywell or 50 cent cone at McDonalds - I didn't even realise that they have even opened one in the casino!).

I haven't been to the Merrywell since it opened (again a bad foodie misdeed) and a lot of people have raved about it (good things and bad..) and I never get a chance to go, mainly because I am not a big fan of parking at Crown Burswood - gives me a massive headache! Addicted to chaos - then this is it - finding parking at Crown.

Anyway, back to Merrywell. I like the layout, I guess. It's nice enough. The outside/courtyard area is better I think. I'm not sure if people are allowed to smoke there though. I hope not, because technically it's not "outdoors" because you have this wall around it and ventilation isn't exactly the best, especially when it's hot (as it was that night) and that with smoking is not the best combo.

The service at Merrywell - don't expect one (except you may have to get onto the waiting list to get a table at busy hours - which may be up to 2 hours or more, unless you order at the bar, in which case good luck finding a seat at the bar). After all it's like going to any pub or bar. If you want food, you go to order at the area where there is a sign that says "place order here" take your seat and get a number on a stand and just wait to get your food. It is not a restaurant. You are there to watch games, eat (a little bit more fancier things than pub food) and drink. So enjoy it. Soak up the noise. Shout across the table to your friends so you are heard. It's why you are there!

In terms of food, I've heard many a good things about their mac & cheese along with their fried wings. So we decided to get a bowl of mac & cheese (no wings though - we wanted desserts and snacks not another dinner..). And well.. hmm.. UNDERWHELMED. Despite it's golden yummy appearance, after biting into it, you release the cheese has not melted properly at all. It needed another minute or so and it would have been that gooey stringy cheese. But alas it was not to be. Disappointment and just a heart attack risk with no awesomeness. It did come with HP sauce, which was nice.


Infamous Mac & Cheese

But like I said, we were here mainly for the desserts. So we got 3 pots of dessert. One of which really surprised us. We ordered the Key Lime Cheese Cake, Strawberry Trifle and the Cookie Collection. 

The Strawberry Trifle on the left was probably one of my favourite out of the three. Creamy, strawberriliousness and not too rich and not too sweet. We were all in agreement that it was good stuff in that little jar/pot.

The cookie collection - well we didn't expect homemade cookies shoved into a little jar. We were expecting something like cookie and creme of something. Nevermind though because the cookies were DAMN GOOD. 3 different flavours. 3 types of perfect cookies. I felt like I was a little kid. All we needed was coffee or hot chocolate (but it was just as good without it). I'm obviously a cookie monster!

The last and on your right is the Key Lime Cheesecake. It was tangy, perhaps a bit too much? (or defs more so than the other two desserts), but it was refreshing. It was not very cheesecakey though because I couldn't taste the cookie base (I'm not even sure if there was one!). I did like the fact that they had shaved and baked lemon/lime things one top. Enjoyable dessert nonetheless especially for those who like tangy refreshing desserts to something sweet and rich.



Overall, Merrywell isn't a bad place to hang out. It explains why it's so packed. Perhaps a little too noisy and too busy with the music, TV screens and people. I'm not sure if the massive ravings of WOW-ness is actually accurate. For me, with what I had it wasn't exactly WOW-worthy. But from the looks of the burgers that came out and things -they were huge and the buns were between BIG patty with oozing melted cheese galore. I may have to go back to try their actual food menu. But for the mac and cheese. meh. Cheese balls things -I've had better. Oh and there are little steps everywhere! I'm not sure if that is good for those who are drunk.  So take care. 

The Merrywell on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram