Tuesday, June 25, 2013

UWA Club House Restaurant Dinner

The UWA club house is for the alumni house for ex-University of Western Australia students. It's suppose to be rather exclusive or something rather and costs a fair bit to join and keep your membership. The perks however is that you get to fully utilise their function centre and of course dine in their restaurant. The restaurant and cafe area isn't just for club members, so you can dine here if you like.

I didn't graduate from UWA, but I've been fortunate enough to have had the food provided by the restaurant and catering staffs of the UWA club on numerous occasions, such as balls, seminars and of course my cousin's wedding. The wedding and the seminar provided rather nice food, although the balls, was a bit of a let down. The recent dining experience at the Club Restaurant was at my Aunty's 60th birthday. A 3 course meal enjoyed with the best of companies, many happy and funny speeches and of course with delightful food.

The entree served to us was a tasting plate consisting of 4 different dishes.


There was seared wagyu beef, sesame crusted pan-fried scallops, butter and garlic prawns and I can't remember what the green thing and yellow-corn thing was but both were really delicious. The seafood was cooked to perfection the scallops being so wonderful I wanted more than just one. The only let down would have to be the wagyu beef. 

The main was a choice of either the angus fillet or barramundi fish. Bf opted for the steak, while I went for the fish. The fish was wonderful, melt-in-your-mouth perfection. Although I'm not sure about the condiments on the plate. They were a little sour.


The good thing about bf having the opposite dish to me is that I get to taste test his and he gets a bit of mine. The steak was perfectly pink, gorgeous to look and taste just wanted you wanted medium-rare. No major bleeding. The jus that came with it, wasn't the best of sauces, it had a slight tang to it and wasn't something you wanted the steak to be covered in, which was a bit of a pity.


Of course the best course of the evening was of course the dessert. Another tasting plate to boot! Tasting plates in the form of dessert I think is the best, because you get to try a variety of different ones so you don't get sick of just eating one thing, especially if that one thing you chose is ultra rich! Having said that, the bad thing is that if there is one that you like on the plate, it tends to disappear much too quickly!


The plate consisted of vanilla ice cream coated in dark chocolate, orange sponge soaked in lovely sticky syrup, strawberry meringue and an orange cake thing topped with macaroon (and everyone got a different flavoured macaroon! - I liked the coffee one best, but I ended up getting a chocolate orange one). The desserts were all lovely, but I have to say the orange sponge was delicious and more of it was definitely required. 

I think overall, the Club Restaurant is one that I have enjoyed having functions at as the staff are so professional and the food is pretty good, especially when they have to cater for a fair few people and each presentation plate of dish have to (or should be) the same. 

If you ever get a chance, or you are in the area, the UWA Club restaurant is really a nice place to dine at. It's tranquil and calm and the service is lovely and attentive (and especially patient on this occasion!). But please be aware that they have a strict dress code. For more information on the venue check it out here. The latest menu is also available here.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram