Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Must Winebar - a MUST hit on truffles

Truffles are one of the most expensive item possible on a menu at any restaurant and when the
Manjimup Black Truffle Week came around at the MUST winebar in Mt. Lawley in Perth, it was the perfect opportunity to suss out the fungi that creates such a frenzy.
I've always wanted to explore MUST winebar having walked across the place more times than I can count on my to Soto or Exomod and of course the car. The place was packed to the brim, even on a Sunday night. The place was split into two, a space just big enough for about 30 diners and a bar area where the loud 30-something-year-old sip their wines, champagnes, beers and a whole concoction of cocktails, while a cello and trumpet and keyboard player do their thing in the corner. When you first enter, your eyes need to adjust even if it is dark outside. The lighting in the place is next to none - adding to the enchanting, mysterious ambiance of the place.

My friends and I were situated in the front corner near the entrance of the dining area - I was afraid there was going to be a lot of traffic - with diners going in and out - but it wasn't too noticeable - even though it was such a small place. Nothing really interfered. I don't know if it was because we were busy gawking over how decadent the food was, or appreciating the good wines that were on offer or it was because the layout of the place really did allow you to have a quiet dining experience despite the loud, bar-like atmosphere.

The truffle week meant that the menu on offer was a special one.. and unfortunately, because it was at the end of the week.. not everything was available in all its glory. Nevertheless.. I settled for the entree (as I had a HUGE meal at Grand Palace for my dad's 50th the night before.. which in itself was a meal fit to feed a nation..); I had the Seared Esperance Scallops on the ½ shell,
Caramelised Duck Sausage, Petite Herb Salad, Black Truffle Vinaigrette - it was absolutely divine (especially the sauce.. and the duck was exquisite.. cooked to perfection). To go with the entree I had a Red; the Rex Hill Pinot Noir 2006 Willamette Valley Oregon.


Seared Esperance Scallops on the ½ shell, Caramelised Duck Sausage, Petite Herb Salad, Black Truffle Vinaigrette
After the delightful entree, the dessert just hit the spot - an exploration for my tastebuds! The Manjimup Black Truffle Panna Cotta, Apple Crumble, Black Truffle Infused Ice Cream. The Panna Cotta had the truffle taste right through it and who would have thought black truffles would taste so nice as an ice cream? Manuela had the creme brulee with tequila sorbet- it was absolutely delicious and the presentation was interesting. The creme brulee was warm while the tequila sorbet was nonetheless interesting. Sandy on the other hand had the chocolate pudding with warm chocolate oozing out of the pudding. It was every choco-holics dream dessert!

Manjimup Black Truffle Panna Cotta, Apple Crumble, Black Truffle Infused Ice Cream

Creme brulee with Tequila sorbet

Chocolate Pudding with Ice-Cream and Raspberry Sauce


A few of us; myself included went a couple of stores down to Soto to have a chat, catch up some more and debate about the meaning of life, fashion, food and experiment on tea - definitely try the Cocoa Tea - and if you like fruity taste - try the creme brulee - it's nothing like the coffee version!
Overall a good night. Everyone went home happy and satisfied. I will definitely be coming back to Must - but maybe just to try the wine list and chillax at the bar. The ambiance can't be beaten.


Must Winebar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram