Again, another brilliant outstanding bunch of talents out there in the good 'ole Perth scene. Creativity is definately there and giving the talents the chance to showcase their works during events like this is fantastic. I allows everyone to appreciate them and allows them to get themselves out there and promote. Win-win for everyone. Now if only they have pop-up store like the one in Melbourne, where up-and-coming designers than hire a closet space to showcase their works, then that would be awesome. I'm rumbling.
So yes, Popsicle this year, unlike last year was not a movable old school bus, but rather, two huge shipping containers right in the middle of the Perth Cultural Centre (aka outside the Alexander Library, just after those seat of stairs that are now purple/yellow).
They had designers Peppermint Milk (whose designs I love!)
as well as the Ping Pong Diplomacy, Little Gracie, and naughty cute lingerie wear by
appropriately named Kiss Me Quick as well a few more, visit here
for more details
One of the other things I love about the Popsicle event is how it promotes the exploration of all the quirky and interesting boutiques, cafes and galleries on William street, mainly by hunting the Popsicle magnet. This year it was illustrated by the artist, Sean Morris. It's just fun to hunt for the whole magnet set, and along the way you visit all the pop-up galleries as well as of course actually entering the galleries, cafes and boutiques that you always drive pass but never enter, but promise yourself that you will.
This year it took me to PICA (Perth's Institute of Contemporary Arts), a venue I've been meaning to have a look around, but never manage to take anyone with me.
PICA is actually pretty huge, I didn't realise that it was so big. The major exhibit that is currently on is Objects to Live by: The Art of John Meade, Love of Diagrams and Shimurabros.
The Love of Diagrams was rather interesting and abstract, but so abstract that I didn't quite understand it. I'm not that creative or imaginative to understand contemporary art just yet. However, Objects to Live by: The Art of John Meade was rather intriguing and thought-provoking. I can understand statues, mobiles etc. I guess only because it can be interpreted in so many different ways and you can view it on so many different angles.
The following photos are from Objects to Live by: The Art of John Meade, you really ought to go to PICA and check it out.
We also ran into an exhibition called "Being Hockney" by a Perth photographer Amy Vinicombe. Her photography is amazing and the exhibition is just incredible and inspiring. It really makes me want to pick up my DSLR properly and actually learn. Here, are just a brief shot of her work. If you want to see the close up visit her at the pop-up gallery on William street, in between James and Francis street and be inspired. She's open from 10am - 5pm until September 15th.
and one of the things I love about this exhibition is her encouragment to use her photos to do a collage on a pillar in the middle of the room. A and I took the opportunity and spent about half an hour doing up one side of the column.
The photo I took of it doesn't do much justice, it looked better in real-life. I think though, the best part was that Amy was there and we took a few photos with her. She's such a darling. She even offered to teach me the basics as to how to use my camera. I might take her up on the offer, if only I wasn't working. *SIGH*
Us with Amy
The day ended with us walking right up William street to William Topp and getting ourselves one off pieces of jewellery and the last of the magnets. Overall, it was just fantastic day out, the sun was shining, I found a trove of treasures along the way and got myself a necklace, which would be a perfect accessory for this summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment