Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bistro Guillaume

Bistro Guillaume was my restaurant of choice to celebrate my birthday. The restaurant occupies what used to be Allure bar and restaurant and underwent a $7 million face lift. The interior has so much colour, mainly shades of lime green, black and cream. There are puffy sofas, pantaloon lightshades, mirrors and an outdoor area overlooking the renovated pool area. Impressive.

Family and myself were placed by a window overlooking the pool and the best thing about it wasn't so much the impressive renovation done outside or even the coziness of where we were sitting, but rather who was opposite our table... *DRUM ROLL* The chef and owner Guillaume Brahimi in the open kitchen working away and olympic swimmer and owner of Louis Baxter cafe, Eamon Sullivan in the company of one of Australia's celebrated chef's, Matt Maron (having their dinner, obviously). So hey, that means we were in for a treat right?

We started off the night by having a Charcuterie plate to share. A rather generous plate with a variety of meats, sausage, cornichons, lettuce leaves, quince, terrine, parfait, pork rillettes, and of course sourdough bread. I'm usually not a fan of charcuterie plates, mainly because I find that the quality of produce and the taste isn't all that great, however, Bistro Guillaume, proved to me that there can be great charcuterie plates, enjoyed it thoroughly.


Charcuterie plate
(unfortunately already have eaten!)

Since there was 7 of us, we decided to share the salad Nicoise with rare yellow fin tuna.The salad came out deconstructed, which was kind of nice, allows you to pick at it a bit more. The tuna was actually slightly seared, juicy, 'fat' and so fresh. The salad was refreshing and the beans were so good. So far, rather satisfying start to the dinner.


Salad Nicoise with rare Yellow Fin Tuna

Bf also grabbed himself a French Onion Soup, he's been craving it ever since I ordered some from Ptite Ardoise restaurant. The onion was so sweet, there was decent amount of cheese, and toasty crisp bread on top, but it didn't do much for me. I think Ptite Ardoise did it better, but still not bad.


French Onion Soup

As for the mains, mum and I decided to share their "meal for 2" and opted for the roasted whole liveringa organic chicken served with their very creamy, silky Paris mash and an aromatic rosemary sauce with a salad of salad. It was meant to be dish for 2, but everyone ended up having pieces of it, far too much for just 2 (unless you have a massive appetite). I'm usually scared of ordering chicken, it tends to get too dry, but not this one; the chicken was moist, juicy and flavoursome.


Roasted whole chicken 


Paris mash

The Paris mash is to die for - honestly one of the best potato mash ever! Silky, smooth, creamy, potato goodness served in a cute pot! We got an extra to share. It was that good.

Bf got his favourite type of meat - Berkshire pork belly with salad of lentils, green apples and tarragon vinaigrette. The pork meat was juicy and tender, crackling was crispy (the way it should be) and the whole dish went beautifully with the lentils and apples, although the sauce was a little too sour - someone over poured the vinaigrette.


Berkshire pork belly with salad of lentils, green apples and tarragon vinaigrette

Dad and little little bro had the rangers valley sirloin steak with kipfler potatoes, watercress salad and bearnaise sauce. It was just your perfect chargrilled steak delight. Nothing else needs to be said.


Sirloin steak with kipfler potatoes, watercress salad with bearnaise sauce

My little bro had the venison tenderloin with beetroot, parsnip and horseradish. The sauce on this dish was just heavenly! The venison was also rather tender even for such a game meat. However, the poor boy, a big eater of protein was a little disappointed by the amount of meat on his plate. But hey, at least it was polished and he loved it immensely. 


Venison tenderloin with beetroot parsnip and horseradish

Then the best bit of the night happened - and I thought I had enough lovely dishes, but no the desserts topped it all. But then again, we are at a French restaurant, if they couldn't do desserts I'll be worried.

I ordered the chocolate souffle with pistachio ice cream. The staff recommended that I place the pistachio ice cream into the souffle and after it was mixed, and I had my first bite, it was absolute deliciousness. Orgasmic!


Chocolate souffle with pistachio ice cream

Bf had the profiterole with vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate sauce (the chocolate sauce was poured over the profiteroles). It were probably one of the best profiteroles ever. 


 Profiteroles with vanilla ice cream with warm chocolate sauce

Little bro had the Riz au lait with poached rhubarb and strawberry sorbet. Razzled rice pudding, creamy, sweet with a refreshing punch of the sorbet. He loved it and I enjoyed the small share he gave me. 

Then to top the meal, I had a glass of wine to boot. Velvety goodness to drown a year of getting older. 


The food at Bistro Guillaume is impressive and it really was a lovely birthday treat. The service was impeccable. Although, I'm not sure if I like the casual look of the waitstaff. But, I suppose it adds to that light, casual but stylish service in a beautiful room, filled with relaxed ambiance. It's probably one of the most relaxed fine dining places ever.

Have a go, be pampered and enjoy Bistro Guillaume's simple, beautiful French cuisine.

Bistro Guillaume on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram