Friday, January 4, 2013

Impromptu trip to Augusta-Margaret River - Day 1

I'm so behind on my postings.. but a couple of months ago, in the middle of November to be exact, I had a lovely impromptu trip to Augusta and Margaret River for a weekend at the start of November with my beloved mum and two girlfriends (who are much too fun and camera addicts, they just have the best ideas for poses - I couldn't be happier!).

We left the city at 630am (running 30mins behind schedule leaving) but ended up at Margaret River town centre at 930am - toilet break and stroll around the gorgeous town before hitting the road to Augusta. We went caving - Jewel Cave, then to the the Southern most point of Australia - Cape Leeuwin before heading to beautiful Hamelin Bay (pity it was a little overcast). Had lunch at Berry Farm (such beautiful scones and the beef and wine pie is such hearty goodness - more on this when I get a chance to clear my massive backlog of posts!!) Visited Margaret River mouth and the beach before relaxing at the beach resort.

Next day was a day of wineries - eating at Watershed (which still is atrocious in its service and the food is so lackluster - I'm so grateful for the entertainment card otherwise totally not worth it. We should have gone to Voyager).

I will leave the photos to do the talking..

Our first stop after quickly stopping by Margaret River town to collect the region map we made our way to one of Margaret River's famous caves, Jewel Cave where ventured into the cave to marvel at the beautiful formations.




After the one hour tour and a coffee stop from our coffee flasks we made our way to the Southern most part of Australia (and of course Western Australia) to the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse in Augusta, where the Indian Ocean ends and the Southern Ocean starts, where we climbed way too many steps to experience the winds from the ocean and see a marvelous view of the sea.






and of course nothing beats a jump shot in front of the lighthouse on the edge of Western Australia.

 

 After the exercise at the lighthouse nothing beats a stroll to Hamelin Bay (even if the weather started to go cloudy and angry-looking).


Then by that time it was definitely time for lunch and one place to go to is a little cottage with amazing homemade steak pies, scones and bosenberry pies. So we ventured to the Berry Farm and were lucky to just catch the end of their lunchtime (10minutes before afternoon tea is served and we miss out on lunch!).

Berry Farm is just so lovely, I write it in another post soon, promise. Sitting in their lovely garden filled with beautiful wildflowers, plants and local birds. It was just the most perfect place to sit relax and take in the day and appreciate the beauty of nature, oh and of course have delicious homemade food!




See, how beautiful the garden at Berry Farm is?! Such an arry of colour and the birds love the Berry Farm's homemade jam as much as we did!

After a lovely, but extremely late lunch (it was like 3pm!) we made our way to our resort by the beach! This is of course before stopping by to see the Margaret River rivermouth and the beach! By that time it was sunset, freezing cold and was raining on and off. Regardless, the view was spectacular.


Seeing these photos makes me want to go back to Margaret River region again. I never get tired of the place despite going every year, there is just something so soothing and relaxing about doing nothing but eating, sleeping, going to wineries, beaches in an area you know well and, anyway I haven't even touched the places I want to wine and dine there.
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram