Sunday, February 17, 2013

No. 4 Blake Street Restaurant full of surprises

I was kindly invited by Tom Randolph (owner of Tom's Kitchen) and his team to visit their restaurant No. 4 Blake street, which I remember seeing somewhere a few weeks before the email landed in my inbox. Nonetheless, when I got the invite I was rather excited to check out the new place, especially when it was to be a theatrical experience. And I love a bit of a show especially when there are fine foods on display.


Tom Randolph (Owner and Head Chef of No. 4 Blake Street)

No.4 Blake street restaurant is literally where the restaurant is, at No.4 on Blake street in North Perth. The name is not exactly creative, but then it makes you guessing as to what type of dishes you'll be served. Simple black and white decor with exposed lighting with red velvet curtains (where the kitchen lies) greets your eyes as you enter. Although, the second room there is a large collection of wine on display. You would also notice that the tables are laid bare, no cutlery of any sorts at all. This is so that the artists (the chefs) can prepare your meals and serve it on a clean canvas. The cutlery will be served to you as needed throughout the night. No fuss dining at a fine dining establishment. Interesting concept and one which I like.



The blank canvas that is the table

Bf and I were warmly greeted by Majdouline and Romain and we took a seat next to the Miss SM and Miss Anise of Perth Food Engineers and Michelle from Foodie Cravings along with others from the Perth blogging scene. It was nice to see them all and to catch up. We were poured some sparkling, photos were taken, including from the photographer from the Sunday Times (we ended up in the STM social pages) before Tom came out of the kitchen to introduce himself to us. A very warm, friendly guy with a lovely smile. He presented us the philosophy behind the restaurant - a typical dinner but with elements of surprise in the form of the Al Dente and the Palate Cleanser. Tom stated that, the restaurant is an opportunity for him and his partner in crime in the kitchen to be creative with fresh produce and ingredients from around the state. A bit of a show where fine foods are the final products by the actors (chefs).



Tom Randolph


Bf and I in STM confidential with a photo of owner Tom and waitress Majdouline on the right.

We started of the evening with some bread - olive or white sourdough. I tried both. To complement the homemade bread we had three freshly made butter - Olive, Pedro Ximenz and Orange. Out of the three butters the pedro was probably the best, but all three had lovely flavours and taste, with the orange butter, being well, very orangy and I wasn't so sure about it being in butter form.


Trio of butter - L to R - Olive, Pedro Ximenz and Orange

We were served with two wines chosen by Romain for the evening. The Rockford, Semillon 2002, Barossa Valley and D'Arenburg, Shiraz Viognier 2004, McLaren Vale. Being a lover of red I settled for the red for the evening, which ended up going beautifully with all the dishes I was served. BUT before I started on the red I had a taste of the white, and I must say it was a beautiful refreshing white wine that I probably could drink.



Romain the in house sommelier

The amuse bouche was a platter containg little shimeji, porcini foam, mushroom glass, sweet corn pannacotta and truffled popcorn. The combinations of flavours and textures on the plate was so well executed. Meshed so well together - the sweetness of the pannacotta, the saltiness and crunchy texture of the popcorn and the bite of the mushroom was just divine. It got our mouths watering and eager for the rest to come out.


Amuse Bouche - shimeji, porcini foam, mushroom glass, sweet corn pannacotta and truffled popcorn

For entrée, we were served on alternate seatings with bf getting the goat's cheese gnocchi, aromatic oils, baby herbs, borage blossom in tomato water. This flavours of the tomato 'soup'/water was just amazing and I was very lucky to have had the chance to try it. The gnocchi was also amazingly soft and had a nice punch to it (as goat's cheese do..) but with the tomato (the juices squeezed out for 12-16 hours!) herb aromatic oil infused water it was divine. A dish that caused a buzz amongst all the bloggers in the room.


Entree choice 1: Gnocchi, aromatic oils, baby herbs, borage blossom in tomato water

The rabbit parfait, belly presse, loin and kidney terrine with pomegranate jelly was the other entree and one which I had. The rabbit parfait was amazing. It was the best parfait I've had in a long time. Silky, smooth and full of flavour. The belly presse was a little salty for me, but then I have a low tolerance of salt. I just wished that they gave us more of the pomegranate jelly, it went so beautifully with all the elements of the dish.


Entree choice 2: Rabbit parfait, belly presse, loin and kidney terrine with pomegranate jelly

The next course for the evening was the Al dente - an surprise pasta course which changes each day. We were however served a tortellini with sweetbreads with a champagne cream sauce and orange zest. I really thoroughly enjoyed this dish and really wished there was more of it. The pasta was fresh and made in-house and the sweetbreads in the pasta is a little something different but amazing.


Al Dente: Tortellini with sweetbreads with a champagne cream sauce and orange zest

Mains came not too long after, with 3 varieties of mains on our table due to Miss SM's of PFE dietary requirements. I was more than happy about that, it meant more displays of No.4's dishes and Miss SM was kind enough to give a taste of her seared duck breast! Bf and I ended up with same dish of glazed pork, white eggplant caviar, mustard, cassis, eggplant crips as he wasn't a fan of fish or seafood and wanted the pork so swapped with Miss Anise of PFE, who couldn't eat the pork dish due to her dietary requirements. So after a bit of playing musical plates we were settled in to eat our mains.

The glazed pork, white eggplant caviar, mustard, cassis and eggplant crips, was well seasoned, beautiful combination of flavours, although bf would have preferred something with crackling on it (but then he's a little obsessed with pork belly and pork crackling!).


Main 1: Glazed pork, white eggplant caviar, mustard, cassis and eggplant crips

The barely cooked ocean trout was a winner on the table, with those who had it singing its praises. With how silky and melt-in-your-mouth moment the trout was and the squid ink cracker was that little something special.


Barely cooked trout, squid ink crisps and cuttlefish

Miss SM of PFE gave me a little tasting of her druck breast. It was cooked so beautifully, so tender and well seasoned, a little on the salty side for me, but with the plum sauce it cut through the salt and was the perfect partner to the duck.


Duck Breast

Then the second surprise dish of the day - the palate cleanser. We had tropical flavours presented on our plates with coconut sorbet with a sesame base, popping candy, sago and pineapple granita. This dish was well loved by everyone at the table. I was so excited about the popping candy and the textures and flavours of this dish was well matched and so refreshing, the perfect cleanser for my palate before the dessert.



Palate Cleanser: Coconut sorbet, sesame base, popping candy, sago and pineapple granita

The desserts caused a stir to our table, alternate seating of chocolate pot garden and textures of passionfruit. Although before was rather upset and disappointed (and still is) that he couldn't eat chocolate garden (still whinging about it!).

So I must say that bf although whinging that he got the passionfruit dessert (which really isn't his style and more mine sort of styled dessert) - white basil ganache, mango, salted sesame and coconut sago, he polished the plate before I could try it. But from what was said around the table it was refreshing.


Dessert 2: Textures of passionfruit - basil ganache, mango, salted sesame and coconut sago 
(the presentation is oddly similar to that of the palate cleanser)

The cherry chocolate garden pot - valhrona chocolate mousse, salted peanut, dacquoise, cherry and macadamia nuts. It really looked like a garden pot, as it was presented in a ceramic pot (no idea who they would wash that!) with the micro herbs being the flowers. Cutest presentation ever! Love it! The dark chocolate was divine and with the crunch of the nuts provided that additional texture. It was beautiful if not slightly rich for me at the end, but if boy were to have it he would have adore it. Pity it had nuts in it, otherwise he could have shared.


Dessert 2: Cherry Chocolate garden pot - Valhrona chocolate mousse, salted peanut, dacquoise, cherry and macadamia nuts

The evening was very enjoyable and hosts Romain and Majdouline certainly made us feel welcomed and were very friendly. Our thanks to the chef and owner Tom and everyone involved for the beautiful evening at No. 4. I can't wait to take my girlfriends there for a nice night out or even for the high tea (it sounds exquisite!).

No. 4 Blake street really was a special experience with many pleasant texture and flavour surprises which worked beautifully. It's priced decently as well for a 6 course meal at $90. They also do breakfast, lunch and high tea (an exciting and a different sort of high tea menu!). No. 4 Blake street is worth checking out with that special someones.



No 4 Blake Street on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram