Monday, January 24, 2011

Hopman Cup 2011

To fit in with the Australian Open that's currently occuring in Melbourne, I thought I might write about my first LIVE tennis event that I went to on a balmy Perth night. It was on a Tuesday night in January, a workmate of mine was kind enough and nice enough to give me her ticket because she was unable to go. I headed home after work, freshened up, before heading to Burswood Dome to watch Australia vs. Serbia fight it out to win the Hopman Cup.


I've missed the women's game but it wasn't all that exciting according to Jojo who was there, she said that Australia went down in straight sets! It wasn't all that surprising really, seeing as it was Austrealia's Molik vs. Serbia's Ivanovic - Ivanovic probably had speed against Molik, even if Molik was a stronger server and someone with more emotional control.

Anyway, the men's game, Hewitt vs. Djokovic was better, there were some great moves and in some instances Hewitt looked set to win the point (40 vs. 0) but then he choked under the pressure and just gave his points away. He also needed to lift his serves, shockingly bad. Djokovic on the other hand, wow service speeds of 200km/h + at times, I could barely see the ball fly across the court!


Hewitt going for the tennis ball

A blur of tennis ball hurtling towards Djokovic

The single games didn't compare to the awesome game that was the doubles, and I must admit Australia played admirably and came so close to taking the doubles game away from Serbia. But alas, in the game point - where they had to reach 10 points with 2 points difference, Australia lost. Djokovic served up a storm to give the Serbia the win, allowing them to reach 10 points first. So devastating, but MAN what a game it was. So exciting the doubles match. It was one of those things you just have to see, especially some of the volleys. Unbelievable. Just describing it wouldn't help.


The Serbian team coming out onto the court for the doubles game


The Australian team - consisting of Molik and Hewitt making their entrance onto the court


Coin toss time


 Hewitt serves it to the Serbian team of Djokovic and Ivanovic



Interviews with the winners of the night - Ivanovic and Djokovic


 
Interviews with Molik and Hewitt

All in all, my first tennis match was rather exciting, even if it was boiling hot under the dome and its lights. I wouldn't mind heading to the Australian Open (or better yet, Wimbledon) and watch Nadal and Federer play. Now that would be AWESOME!


ps. Please note the photos abover were taken by me with my humble compact camera whom I have abused a bit too much.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram