Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pompeii Exhibition at the WA Museum

This morning I got a phone call from my beloved cousin asking me to come along to the A Day in Pompeii exhibition currently held at the WA Museum - which firstly to my amazement that she wanted to go - she never fails to surprise me, and secondly I've been wanting to see it, but have somewhat forgotten it's on. Living in your own little bubble tends to do that to you.

I've also had a fascination with Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius ever since I was in primary school and we had to learn about natural disasters. A roman city, inhabitated by 12000 people, completely destoryed and buried in 79 AD by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. So, before I visit Pompeii (whenever that is going to be - but it will be on my Europe adventure - which I hope will be soon) I'll get a chance to see a glimpse of it here.

For a change, we actually get an exhibition thats remotely interesting. It features hundreds of extraordinary objects that were recovered by archaeologists in the 1700s - marble and bronze sculptures, jewellery, gold coins and everyday household items – all of which evoke the richness and culture of daily life in the Roman Empire's favourite vacation resort.
There was also a 3D theatre animation which highlighted the town's citizens experience during the 48 hours of eruptions that wiped out Pompeii and encased the town.Oh as well as the body casts of people and animals that were buried by the volcanoes.



It's pretty interesting and I actually learnt a fair bit more than what I read in books as a child.

A Day in Pompeii exhibition is still running and will continue until 5th September at the WA Museum.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram