Saturday, April 10, 2010

Melbourne how i love thee...

I've never been a good travel blogger, I find I don't take enough notes mentally or have a note pad to take it physically so I forget all the interesting people, architecture, events, smells, sights, passing conversations that I've experienced so my travel diaries on the net just becomes "I did this then that then this etc." which gets rather mundane and so unlike how it happened and how I felt.

So because of that, I have decided screw doing day one to day ten, I am just going to list what I did then write other enteries regarding Melbourne's hidden treasures.

After the first rather lovely day in artsy Melbourne the second day was going to hard to beat and sure enough the unpredictable Melbournean weather hit, rain pelted down from what seemed like a sunny day as we started our hidden treasure laneway tour of Melbourne. Strolling through the laneways and hidden alleys at the heart of Melbourne, in our umbrellas while finding many shops, treasures, vintage wears, gorgeous buildings and interior designs was one experience to remember. Whilst sipping on hot chocolate, chocolate affragato, coffees and wonderful coffee truffle chocolate at Koko Black, the sun came out to play and Melbourne rainy clouds disappear for the rest of the day.  After our shot of chocolate power we weaved our way through more lanes filled with wonderful and interesting graffitti artworks before the places we've been were mapped out for us, as we ate our lunch at an italian place on Howey Place, that way we find our way back to the hidden treasures kept secret in the many laneways, alleys and places.

The next few days were a whirlwind of shopping trips down Bridge Road, Chapel Street whilst trying places such as Borsch Vodka and Tears (where Vodka Cocktails were consumed at 4pm in the afternoon), Basque (where the cute waiter with pretty blue eyes gave us free drinks), Oriental Tea House for our lunch (which was the worst choice ever made!! - GROSS FROZEN THEN REHEATED DIM SUM!! ewww muchly??) whilst at night there was the ultimate fine dining experience at Vue De Monde, Lygon street pre-dessert at Brunetti then dinner consisting of chilli mussels at Oggi. In between all that, there was the date with cute handsome, Will Anderson and meeting Frank Woodley's uncles at the Forum and of course having dim sum at TWO IN THE MORNING. Gloriously wonderful.

The whirlwind spending spree took a back seat as the long easter weekend arrived. V took us two girls to the beautiful countryside of Melbourne, to Yarra Valley, where we saw major traffic jam on the country roads, saw boys running off utes, before arriving at Yering Station. Wine tasting was done along with buying two bottles (each) of wine, then a touch of photography at their estate before having lunch over-looking the yarra valley. This was then topped with a visit to the lovely grounds of Chandon Domaine before heading to back into the city. The wonderful, Good Friday ended at Crown Casino at Lagerfield then at the Atrium listening to the tunes of Wonderwall being played on the piano and guitar.

Glorious sunny Saturday S and I hopped on the tram, missed our stop and ended up at Saint Kilda Beach. We strolled along the pier and the surrounding areas, taking photos and enjoying the lovely sunny Melbourne day, before heading towards Luna Park where silly photos were taken. After which we visited our favourite bar/restaurant on Chapel street - Borsch, Vodka and Tears were I had the breakfast at 1pm in the afternoon and sandy had her vodka prawns accompanied by of course cocktails - yes in the middle of the day. LIFE WAS GOOD. We went back to the hotel early that day to get ready to hit the bars in the city - Melbourne had better watch out!

The bar hopping took us to Madame Brussels where English Countryside meets Mai tai in 2L and 4L jugs, where table service was looked after by cute waiters in tight tennis shorts and pants. We wandered down to Ajisen Ramen for a bit of a late dinner before hitting the bars again. We made our way to Melbourne Supper Club - only to find all leather couches being occupied. So climb the stairs to Siglo, where the bouncer was uber cool and we were ushered to tables by a girl with black rimmed glasses and an air of sophistication and elegance with a touch of what can only be described as Melbournean. After enjoying the wonderful cocktails at Siglo, we kung fu-ed our way to Red Hummingbird's rooftop to find ourselves getting kicked downstairs, but not before I sweet talked the bouncer to allow us to take photos on egg chairs! We wandered the streets of Melbourne to 1806, where our bartender Dean surprised us with the best cocktails of the night, but then why wouldn't it be when he's the award winning cocktail maker with a sweet smile. We ended the night at 3am, having take away chicken nuggets at maccas before crashing at the hotel. Life was GREAT.

Easter Sunday saw me making my way to St. Francis. We relaxed and try to catch a nap after eating ramen at Ito Noodle House, before strolling to the MCG to watch a footy game. It was so entertaining to just listen and watch how people react, I must say I will be going to Subiaco to see a footy game. We completed the day at Brunetti.

Easter Monday saw us make our way to Docklands via the free tram. We looked into our future penthouses, posed with the random artworks and statues, ate ice-cream, ran into weirdos at the tram station and made our way back to the hotel. Where, I was exhausted so took a nap, before meeting up with S again for tea at Hopetoun Teahouse.

Chadstone was the place to be on our second last day in Melbourne. I made my mental list of what to buy at Chanel, while drinking hot chocolate at Koko Black. After a few hours and a couple of bags of shopping we went back to our hotel to finish packing our bags. Went out for dinner at Ajisen Ramen, smiled, laughed before strolling to Melbourne Supper Club for wine and desserts. Where S had the best creme bruelee ever - I believe M has competition - he will now have to make the bestest one ever ever. I on the other hand, have yet to find tiramasu as good as Ciao Italia.

Wednesday, last day in the wonderful artsy, fashion central that is Melbourne. We checked out of Mecure Hotel on Little Bourke street. Walked to Central Shopping centre, found that movies weren't going to do it for us, so bowled 2 games at Ed Hardy bowling while having a beer. Before heading to Primetime Comedy show, for our last Melbourne Comedy Festival event. The day ended at Movida - last meal with V, before waving goodbyes to the city filled with hidden treasures and surprises.

Oh Melbourne, how I love thee... wait for me.. for I will be back.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram