Friday, April 16, 2010

Satsuki Japanese Restaurant

Satsuki is sister to Ha-lu in Mount Hawthorn, but this little corner Japanese restaurant is in Subiaco Square. It  blends contemporary dining style with traditional Edomae-style sushi methods.


Satsuki thrives upon a tapas-style precept, where small groups are encouraged to order a succession of small dishes to share across the table.

I was told to go to this restaurant by various people, all with fantanbulous reviews. However, when I went there I was rather disappointed. Although the food were wonderfully presented, some of the dishes seemed rather bland and nothing that makes my tastebud go AMAZING.

The restaurant is small, ambience was alright, but I felt that they tried a little too hard to be up-market-y. The pricing? it's expensive as the food wasn't all that great. The only exciting thing was the Lightly Fried Sushi Roll.


Atsuyaki Omelette - 
THIS is nothing like it's described. In fact it tasted a little stale and was not sweet at all, if anything was bland.


Zuke style tuna with yam potato
- This was one interesting dish, the yam potato had an interesting texture. 
It wasn't bad, at least the tuna was fresh-ish


Aubergine in a Soy Dashi Broth -
 Something healthy, because I was craving for healthy food
The dish was overall not too bad, except it was a bit too salty for my liking but vegetables were nicely done.


Grilled Scallop "Isobe" Style
One of the better dishes of the night.
The scallop was cooked to perfection and the nori was crunchy, the touch of chilli and cheese just made this dish exciting
Pork Belly "Kaku-Ni"
The pork belly was tender, it was homely and gave you that warm fuzzy feeling


Lightly Deep Fried Sushi Roll
it had tuna in it and I must say this is the highlight of the evening. 

I've been told that Ha-Lu is better, so maybe I should visit Satsuki sister and be the judge of it. Because as far as I'm concerned my experience at Satsuki was rather average, over-rated and over-priced.

I should have gone to the little Japanese cafe around the corner from Satsuki - it seemed more authentically Japanese. Don't get me wrong, the restaurant is nice, just need to reduce their prices a little bit, then maybe I'll go there again... MAYBE..

Satsuki on Urbanspoon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram