Thursday, July 1, 2010

my cynicism of people’s intentions will be the death of me...

But I like to sometimes think of it as an artillery in this world where the axis spins on the survival of the fittest, regardless of what area of life it is.

This artillery, I swear is only ever useful if there was some sort of filtering device or compass that actually points at the nasty intentions held by some people. I'm constantly subjecting the ones who love me most to an increasingly harrowing gauntlet of tests. These tests are not saying that I don't love them, in fact in think it's because I love them more than they love me so in fact it's a way for me to soften the blow of getting hurt if they were to betray me in any way. I guess it's not only that, but it's also because I can't quite understand why they love me and why they are here in my life.

In a way, it's a reason why girls love asking their perplexed (and often frustrated) boyfriends why he loves her. The‘i just do’ doesn’t quite cut it. It’s not that we’re vain, or stirring up trouble – we just want to know if you really know who we are and whether you LOVE US for us in all our glory and not so gorgeous habits. Just saying ‘because you’re cute, pretty, smart, kind’ doesn’t cut it either because that analysis isn't particularly thoughtful at all, after all almost every other girl on the street has that combination and there is nothing at all amazing about it.

Someone once told me that he knew he loved her when she was able to put up with all his mess - his messy room, his organised chaos, his inability to self express and her ability to tell him off about things like going to see the doctor..

If only love is as simple as what these kids say..

"It's love if they order one of those desserts that are on fire. They like to order those because it's just like how their hearts are... on fire." Christine, age 9


"I know one reason that kissing was created. It makes you feel warm all over, and they didn't always have electric heat or fireplaces or even stoves in their houses." Gina, age 8

"Spend most of your time loving instead of going to work." Dick, age 7

"I think you're supposed to get shot with an arrow or something, but the rest of it isn't supposed to be so painful." Manuel, age 8


"It isn't always just how you look. Look at me. I'm handsome like anything and I haven't got anybody to marry me yet." Brian, age 7


"Don't say you love somebody and then change your mind ... Love isn't like picking what movie you want to watch." Natalie, age 8


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Instagram